Welcome

Hey Everyone!

Welcome to the blog of me, Andrew Gemmell or "The Tech", here you will find to story of not only me, but my life with cancer and everything else I have been through in my life. I try to update frequently, and if I don't please keep checking back because it is bound to happen sooner or later!!!

Enjoy!!


Sunday, April 25, 2010

You Don't Know Jack

So tonight I watched a HBO movie called, "You Don't Know Jack". It was the premiere on HBO for this movie and Al Pacino played Dr. Jack Kevorkian. I have to say I had a completely different outlook on who he was and what he did before I watched this movie. I thought he was this man that, as most people believe, convinced people to kill themselves or something completely absurd like that. The fact of the matter is that is not what he did at all.

Dr. K merely assisted people in a painless death that were suffering and wanted to die. He did not convince people they should die, he did not murder them, and he did not do it in a hurtful manner.

I think that there is a huge taboo over this, assisted suicide situation. In my case, and in my way of thinking I believe that everyone has the right to choose if they should live or die, just like Dr. K did. He made a great point when he said:

"Well, let's take what people think is a dignified death. Christ was that a dignified death? Do you think it's dignified to hang from wood with nails through your hands and feet bleeding, hang for three or four days slowly dying, with people jabbing spears into your side, and people jeering you? Do you think that's dignified? Not by a long shot. Had Christ died in my van with people around Him who loved Him, the way it was, it would be far more dignified. In my rusty van."

-Dr. Jack Kevorkian - July 29, 1996


I know, a lot of people that believe in Christ, and that that is a controversial statement, but I mean he does have a point. Having a public death where you are practically tortured is not dignified. Yes the people that loved him were there, but come on he was tortured and that is not a dignified death. With that said the way that Kevorkian gave people a simple option, which was a non-painful way of death, in which he did nothing but show the how. He himself did not kill his patients until the last one who wanted to stop suffering and could not physically do it himself.


Anyways, that is all I have to say on Dr K for now, but I am sure the more that I think about it...the more I am going to want to write about it!


For now though I have to do a little advertisement! The site is called EnviroFILE! It is a site that is looking to revolutionize filesharing! Please Please Please check it out and give it a try!


So for now...that is all


-The Tech

No comments:

Post a Comment